Saturday, March 15, 2008

The Passionate Shepherd to his Love

The Passionate Shepherd to his Love



Come live with me and be my love,

And we will all the pleasures prove,

That valleys, grives, hills and fields,

Woods, or steepy mountain yields.



And we will sit upon the rocks,

Seeing shepherd feed their flocks,

By shallow rivers, to whose falls,

Melodious birds singing madrigals.



And I will make thee beds of roses,

And a thousand fragrant posies

A cap of flowers and a kirtle

Emroider'd all with leaves if myrtle.



A gown made of the finest woll,

Which from our pretty lambs we pull;

With buckles of the purest gold;

A belt of straw and ivy buds

With corals clasps and amber studs;

And if these pleasures may thee move;

Come like with me and be my love.



The shepherd swains shall dance and sing

For thy delight each May morning;

If these delights thy mind may move,

Then live with me and be my love.



---Christopher Marlowe

No comments: